Sunday 6 April 2014

London Transport Museum

I have had the pleasure of visiting The London Transport Museum twice in the last month but I have to say I didn't actually get to see much!

As I went with the school on both occasions as part of the Year four topic of trains, we were limited with time and spent half of it in the classroom learning about engineering. I say it was in the classroom learning which actually makes it sound boring but it was really interactive and I love the fact that working in a school means that I also learn great facts at the same time as the children.

Did you know the first 3 underground stations were Paddington, Farringdon, and Kings cross? And to build them they actually dug up along all the main roads between each station to put the tunnels in (none of these massive boring machines they use nowadays) over 150 years ago.

The museum is situated on the corner of Covent garden but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to nosey around the market as I had 60 kids in tow! There is a charge for adults to enter but I think kids go free. To find out about prices etc visit Their website

On arrival the children were all given a stamp card with numbers printed down the side. Plotted around the museum are numbered posts where you can stick your stamp card in and get a stamp. I think this is great for kids as they can stamp as they explore but when taking a large group as we did they were so worried about getting all the stamps before the rest of their class that they weren't paying any attention to the fabulous things around them!

I didn't have my camera with me so excuse the bad quality of the pictures, I took these photos on my tab...







The museum is arranged over 3 floors, although the top two are much smaller, it is relatively small compared to a lot of other museums around London. I have visited quite a few with the school and with my own children and I must say this is one of the best for the amount of involvement the children can have. 
There are a lot of interactive games, touch screens, listening devices and as well as looking at all the past and present vehicles you can actually climb upon a few and even pretend to be the bus driver!

We had a lunch room that had a small cafe that was closed, I think this may be because it was term time and may be open to the public in the holidays. 

If you are looking for somewhere to go with the kids in the holiday then I would recommend The transport museum for a great day out.


Our London Link Party

8 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about taking the kids here. I think my kids would love climbing around a bus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really would, our class were fighting over who was going to drive the bus first!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love The Transport Museum, must take my children again now they're old enough to understand the exhibits more than just enjoying seeing the buses! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might take mine again in the summer so we can have a proper look around, its very rushed when you're in a school group.

      Delete
  3. One of our absolute big faves. Took my daughter when she was tiny and she could have climbed on and off buses and tubes all day :)

    Thanks so much for sharing at #OurLondon - Alice @ Outdoors in London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one of my faves too, I like that it's not too big! Got to go and explore London so I can join in every week now!

      Delete
  4. I put off going here for ages, but it is such a good museum for young children. And clearly a fabulous place for a school trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting much to be honest but it is very child friendly :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...